I’m not going to lie or try and mislead you at all. I have not either attempted or completed GORUCK Selection. With that being said I have many friends who have tried GORUCK Selection and some friends who have completed GORUCK Selection. I have spent a lot of time talking with them to get advice for this piece so know that the following information came from people who have attempted or completed Selection.
What is GORUCK Selection?
GORUCK Selection is a 48+ hour individual event. GORUCK Cadre will enforce a standard adopted from our roots in Special Forces Assessment and Selection. Those participants who do not meet the standard at any point will be performance dropped at the Cadre’s discretion. You can read a bit more about the event on the GORUCK website.
GORUCK Selection Standards
The GORUCK Selection Standards (or, the Standards) are a series of physical activities that must be completed before you are able to participate in the actual event. They are meant to weed out people deemed not physically fit enough for the event. You should familiarize yourself with the Standards long before you show up for GORUCK Selection.
GORUCK is not afraid of having a “Black Class” which is where no one passes. Don’t expect any leniency at all when it comes to these standards. As of writing this article there have been at least 3 black classes that I can easily recall.
GORUCK Selection Packing List
GORUCK has created a list of required items, recommended items, and prohibited items for the event. All of these pieces of equipment have been compiled on the GORUCK Selection Packing List page for easy use and access. The list is subject to change so make sure to use the list put out by GORUCK as well.
One suggestion for packing is to practice putting everything in and organizing your ruck well in advance of the event. Know how much your ruck weighs with water and without water and know what your gear weighs as well. The last thing you want is for right before the event to realize not everything fits in your bag or that your bag is under the required 45 pound weight.
All Day Ruckoff Resources
Here are some articles located on the All Day Ruckoff website that will help you train physically or mentally for Selection.
- The Standards
- Packing List (Required, Recommended, and Prohibited Items)
- Interview with David Thomas (Finisher of Seattle Selection 008)
Here are some posts and articles from websites not related to All Day Ruckoff.
Training Advice, Tips, and Plans
- Cadre Bert’s Advice & Rucking Training Plan
- Great advice and an awesome 12 week training plan to get your ruck time/weight/distance up for Selection.
- Ruck More to Pass Selection
- Advice on how rucking from Jason, founder of GORUCK.
- Selection Tips from Stew Smith
- GORUCK Selection tips from Stew Smith who is a former Navy Seal and a fitness guru.
- GORUCK Foot Care Advice
- Foot care is essential to completing GORUCK Selection. This post was written by GORUCK to address the issue with caring for your feet.