GORUCK Constellation is an urban survival event put on by GORUCK. The Constellation 12 event is the 12 hour version that starts around 6 PM and ends roughly around 6 AM the following day.
Our GORUCK Constellation 12 packing list, like in most GORUCK packing lists, is broken down into multiple categories: required, recommended, and optional.
Show up with the required gear and strongly consider bringing the recommended gear. Make sure to square it all away in your pack before the event and practice walking around with it. Although you do not need any “extra weight” (bricks or plates) if you are not used to a full pack you will want to acclimate yourself in advance.
The lists below were taken from the Seattle Constellation 12 event page and it appears consistent between the various event pages. Make sure to check out your GORUCK and Facebook event pages to ensure there are no additional items the cadre is requiring. The scenarios presented in the event are location based so there’s always a chance some of the gear will be as well.
Since the original Constellation events GORUCK has decreased the amount of gear you are expected to bring. We’ve synced our lists up with GORUCK and continue to update the packing list as GORUCK modifies theirs.
Individual gear is the stuff that you need to bring for yourself. We categorize it into three different groups:
- Required Gear: Items that GORUCK requires you to bring.
- Recommended Gear: Gear you should probably be.
- Optional Gear: Stuff that you might want to bring to events.
GORUCK has their own packing list on each individual GORUCK Constellation event page which you don’t want to miss.
According to GORUCK the following gear is required for you to participate at your GORUCK Constellation event. Do not show up without it or you, and your team, will end up in trouble.
These are items that GORUCK says you need to bring to your GORUCK Constellation event.
- A Rucksack or Backpack
- Water, 2L Minimum. Hydration bladder recommended
- Photo ID and $20 cab fare (just in case)
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your ruck
- Smartphone (External battery pack recommended)
- One (1) contractor bag
- Metal can (minimum size of 12 oz., coffee can or similar)
- One (1) dust mask (Optional if your improvised gas mask is already constructed)
- One (1) 2L plastic bottle, EMPTY (Optional if your improvised gas mask is already constructed)
- One (1) pad of steel wool (extra fine, 0000)
- Two (2) 9V battery (doesn’t have to be brand new)
- One (1) Canteen cup or something to use over open flame
- One (1) Multi-tool
- One (1) roll duct tape
- Four (4) 18 inch or longer plastic zip ties
- One (1) Ballpoint Pen
- Free Tourist Map (Do not pay for one)
Show up with the above or there’s a good chance that you’ll need to scavenge them throughout the night. In addition make sure to check out your GORUCK Constellations’s Facebook Event page. Cadre can add extra required gear there so make sure you keep an eye on the page so you will be as prepared as possible.
Recommended Gear List
All Day Ruckoff’s List
After completing GORUCK Constellation 007 in Seattle we found there were a number of items not included in the lists that would have been very helpful.
- Gloves: Bring gloves. We recommend Mechanix gloves and they haven’t let us down yet. You don’t know what you will be touching during the event.
- Sharpie: Medium or thick.
- Notebook: Taking notes on the courses is useful.
- Additional Pen: Need something to take those notes with.
- Map Cover: We had one and it was incredibly useful.
- Knife: You will need at least one on your team.
GORUCK strongly considers that you bring the following gear to your Constellation event.
- External battery pack for smart phone
Constellation 2018 brought some new team gear to the table. Some of the items below are a little pricey so coordinating in advance is key to making sure team members don’t spend too much.
Required Team Gear
Show up with the following required team gear or your team will have to improvise.
Current Required Team Gear
- (1) Selfie Stick Per Team (or someone with long arms)
This page will continue to be updated as the GORUCK Constellation events occur throughout the country. Right now the page is based off of the GORUCK website and our experiences at the Seattle event.
Want more information about the GORUCK Constellation 12 event? Check out our GORUCK Constellation 12 event page!
Check out the following pages for more information about the GORUCK Constellation event:
GORUCK Constellation Training Plan
“Make sure you plan for success”
GORUCK Constellation Food & Nutrition
“Eat your rucking heart out”
GORUCK Constellation AARs & Event Reports
“Learn About Your Event”