The GORUCK Constellation 12 packing list, like in most GORUCK packing lists, is broken down into multiple categories: required, recommended, and optional. Show up with the required gear and strongly consider bringing the recommended gear. Make sure to square it all away in your pack before the event and practice walking around with it. Although you do not need any “extra weight” (bricks or plates) if you are not used to a full pack you will want to acclimate yourself in advance.
The lists below were taken from the Seattle Constellation 12 event page however it appears consistent between the various event pages. Make sure to check out your GORUCK and Facebook event pages to ensure there are no additions. The scenarios presented in the event are location based so there’s a good chance some of the gear will be as well.
Since the original Constellation events GORUCK has decreased the amount of gear you are expected to bring. We’ve synced our lists up with GORUCK and kept the previous items (crossed out) for historical purposes.
2018 brought a lot of new changes and modules to the GORUCK Constellation event. This page has been updated to reflect the changes in made in 2018 but, as always, cross-reference this list with the GORUCK event page.
Individual gear is stuff that you need to bring for yourself and falls into three categories:
- Required Gear: Items that GORUCK requires you to bring.
- Recommended Gear: Gear you should probably be.
- Optional Gear: Stuff that you might want to bring to events.
GORUCK has their own packing list on each individual GORUCK Constellation event page which should be checked out as well.
According to GORUCK the following gear is required for you to participate at your GORUCK Constellation event. Do not show up without it or you, and your team, will end up in trouble.
These are items that GORUCK says you need to bring to your GORUCK Constellation event.
- A Rucksack or Backpack
- Water, 2L Minimum. Hydration bladder recommended
- Photo ID and $20 cab fare (just in case)
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your ruck
- Smartphone (External battery pack recommended)
- One (1) contractor bag
- Metal can (minimum size of 12 oz., coffee can or similar)
- (1) Duct tape roll
- One (1) dust mask (Optional if your improvised gas mask is already constructed)
- One (1) 2L plastic bottle, EMPTY (Optional if your improvised gas mask is already constructed)
- One (1) pad of steel wool (extra fine, 0000)
- Two (2) 9V battery (doesn’t have to be brand new)
- One (1) Car Cell Phone Charger (With cable for your phone)
- One (1) Paper Clip
- One (1) Canteen cup or something to use over open flame
- One (1) Multi-tool
- One (1) BBQ Lighter (The long one specifically for BBQs)
- One (1) Bic Pen
- Free Tourist Map (Do not pay for one)
Show up with the above or there’s a good chance that you’ll need to scavenge them throughout the night. In addition make sure to check out your GORUCK Constellations’s Facebook Event page. Cadre can add extra required gear there so make sure you keep an eye on the page so you will be as prepared as possible.
These are items that were required at one time for GORUCK Constellation but are no longer needed. This list is just here for historical purposes.
(15′) 550 ParacordRemoved after 2017 Beta Sharpie/Pen/PencilRemoved after 2017 Beta LighterRemoved halfway through 2017, added back for 2018 $20 cashRemoved after 2017 Beta, added back for 2018 Large, tin coffee canRemoved halfway through 2017, added back for 2018 (1) full 2L bottle (carbonated required, sugar free recommended)Removed after 2017 (1) TourniquetRemoved after 2017 2′ of cordage or rope (you will be taught and utilize one knot)Removed after 2017
Recommended Gear List
All Day Ruckoff’s List
After completing GORUCK Constellation 007 in Seattle we found there were a number of items not included in the lists that would have been very helpful.
- Gloves: Bring gloves. We recommend Mechanix gloves and they haven’t let us down yet. You don’t know what you will be touching during the event.
- Sharpie: Medium or thick.
- Notebook: Taking notes on the courses is useful.
- Pen: Need something to take those notes with.
- Map Cover: We had one and it was incredibly useful.
- Knife: You will need at least one on your team.
GORUCK strongly considers that you bring the following gear to your Constellation event.
- External battery pack for smart phone
Belt (can be worn)Removed after 2017 Beta Plastic grocery bagsRemoved after 2017 Beta Something to cut with (knife, multi-tool, etc)Removed after 2017 Beta ChemLight Removed after 2017 Beta CompassRemoved after 2017 Beta Ferro rodRemoved after 2017 Beta Note padRemoved after 2017 Beta Canteen cupRemoved after 2017 Beta TourniquetRemoved after 2017 Beta Rolled GauzeRemoved after 2017 Beta (1) Nalgene bottleRemoved after 2017 Beta (2) Contractor BagsRemoved after 2017 Beta (4) Small Ziploc BagsRemoved after 2017 Beta (1) Gallon size Ziploc bag (or map case)Removed after 2017 Beta
Constellation 2018 brought some new team gear to the table. Some of the items below are a little pricey so coordinating in advance is key to making sure team members don’t spend too much.
Required Team Gear
Show up with the following required team gear or you won’t be able to take part in the full GORUCK Constellation experience.
Current Required Team Gear
- (1) Selfie Stick Per Team
- Minimum of one (1) Personal Security Key Fob
- Digital Camera – (Kodak PixPro FZ43 recomended)
- IR Flashlight
- Small Screwdriver Set
This page will continue to be updated as the GORUCK Constellation events occur throughout the country. Right now the page is based off of the GORUCK website and our experiences at the Seattle event.
Want more information about the GORUCK Constellation 12 event? Check out our GORUCK Constellation 12 event page!
Check out the following pages for more information about the GORUCK Constellation event: